Sunday, July 6, 2014

AFG: The CRC Pad


So, for whatever reason, I decided to go to a warzone generally and Afghanistan specifically. The journey began in Georgia at what's affectionately called the CRC or CONUS Replacement Center -- note that "CONUS" is Department of Defense (DoD) terminology for "The Continental United States." The journey begins at a large cement pad with a roof to protect people from the sun and other elements. Note that while I was there, in July and August, there were no other elements. I had this fleeting idea that rain might also bring some much needed cooler air, but all it did was increase the humidity, if that was possible. 

We mustered there on our first day to check our paperwork because without proper paperwork, nobody was going anywhere. I had procured our paperwork only a few hours before heading down Georgia, which was a minor miracle. I wonder what would have happened had I not got the paperwork finalized, but luckily I didn't have to find out. I also wondered how many of the guys there didn't have their paperwork in order, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to ensure my situation was squared away, and it was. 

I was there with equal parts contractors and military, but the military had little love for the contractors and there was good reason for that -- we were a pretty slovenly bunch. I was there as an international relations scholar (call me a "recovering academic") who had done some analysis work for DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), but most were mechanics and workers who had other skills necessary to the US military war effort. Being "the DARPA guy" had the advantage of being interestingly different but the military guys figured that I was smart but overpaid and of dubious utility. Perhaps they were right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment