Sunday, July 19, 2015

AFG 01: Invitation to Tampa


I met my buddy Bob at a conference in Quantico, VA in the summer of 2010. Seeing Bob was memorable because as soon as he saw me, he said, “Hey, do you want to go to Afghanistan with me?” I’ve made it a point in life to always answer totally outrageous questions like that with a hearty, “Oh yeah! Sure!” because there was no way this could actually be possible in real life, right? We hung out for a few days, including a spectacular evening at the new Marine Corps Museum watching the Silent Drill Team, and that was that. I basically forgot about the question and my flippant reply because people say stuff all the time, and how frequently does it work out? In my experience, such proposals work out not very frequently at all.
But about six months later I got another call from Bob, and he had been a busy guy. There was an Education Week being given at USSOCOM in Tampa for Special Operations Forces (SOF) heading over to Afghanistan, and he wanted to know if I would attend as an instructor. I told him I didn’t know anything about Afghanistan, so I didn’t want to over promise my background or experience. Bob said that I had been to a few too many graduate schools and that was good enough for Fred, the guy who was inviting me. I said sure, it sounded like fun and at least good for a few stories, so I made my arrangements to fly down and attend.
I arrived in Tampa a few weeks later in February 2011. Monday was scheduled as a day simply to get oriented with the facility, the staff, and the program content with the actual program starting on Tuesday. I found myself in a control room suspended above an audience of hundreds of US Army Special Forces (SF) and a few sundry US Navy SEALs who were inbound for Afghanistan. Now I confess, much of the reason I was there was because I was the world of SOF fascinating. When I was studying international relations in graduate school, whenever I needed an intellectual break, I’d read a book on SOF with possibly the most influential or eye-opening being Douglas Waller’s Commandos, especially the first chapter on how  each type of SOF is trained and selected. Now, looking down on this audience—all of then young, strong, and potentially lethal—I wondered I all of them would be alive in a year’s time. There was no way to know, but my guess was that some of them would no longer be with us.
There were many speeches given by multiple people. Each education week has its own character, and this one was more academic and intellectual than usual, hence my invitation. Three particular presentations stood out. First Thomas Barfield, a Boston University professor, gave a talk based on his book, Afghanistan: A cultural and political history. Not only did Prof. Barfield exhibit an admirable expertise, but his book was in the right place at the right time, making his research indispensable to this SOF audience. Barfield’s expertise might also have made a significant impression on me due to my comparative lack of it: for example, I was spelling the acronym for the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, GIRoA, with a “J” in my notes, which indicates just how uninformed I was about that particular region of the world.
Second Jeff Weiss, a financier who also taught part-time at West Point, presented his work on “Extreme Negotiations,” that captured the hard-won lessons-learned from previous generations of soldiers who had spent time in Afghanistan. His basic insight is that soldiers who are far from home and in danger, have a tendency to try and placate and mollify the locals, which usually makes the situation worse. Instead, Weiss and his co-authors recommend the following five extreme negotiations strategies for soldiers: (1) Get the Big Picture: Start by soliciting the other person’s or group’s point of view. Use what you learn to shape the objectives of the negotiation and to determine how you’ll achieve them; (2) Uncover and Collaborate: Learn the other party’s motivations and concerns. Propose multiple solutions and invite your counterparts to improve on them; (3) Elicit Genuine Buy-In: Use facts and the principles of fairness, rather than brute force, to persuade others. Arm them with ways to defend their decisions to their critics, and create useful precedents for future negotiations; (4) Build Trust First: Deal with relationship issues head-on. Make incremental commitments to encourage trust and cooperation; and (5) Focus on Process: Consciously change the game by not reacting to the other side. Take steps to shape the negotiation process as well as the outcome. The great thing about these tips for operating and negotiating is that they’re battle tested by SOF, so they can be trusted.
But the best talk, the one I’ll always remember, was from GEN Stanley McCrystal who had just been forcibly retired by Obama due to a take-down piece by Michael Hastings in Rolling Stone. So GEN McCrystal gets up in front of those several hundred SOF, dressed in a suit rather than his uniform, and I could literally feel the sympathy, admiration, and affection well up from the crowd. He seemed impossibly thin and began, “When I was your age, I wanted to retire and be one of those cranky, bitter old guys. I wanted to sit around the house, smoking unfiltered Marlboros and complaining about the old days of how I was rooked over by the system.” He paused for effect, and there was a definite tension in the room as I know I for one was wondering, where is the General going with this? “But I want you to know that’s not the way I feel now. I feel very lucky that I served in the US Army and got to do what I did. But mostly I’m thankful and enthusiastic because I got to serve with people – like you. With memories like that, I could never be bitter or angry. When I think of the skills you have, and the sacrifices you’re willing to make for your country, I’m incredible proud to have served with people like you and filled with optimism for our future.” From somebody outside the Army, McCrystal did the most unexpected thing possible, especially given the recent Rolling Stone incident: he took the focus off himself and put it on the guys in the room and the mission they were about to undertake. The SOF in the audience rose up as one and gave him thunderous applause for what seemed like minutes. I felt like I was in the presence of something special, true leadership, and that I too would be willing to go to Afghanistan to do my part if I were asked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment